For reading email, a user can choose between the POP or IMAP method in Carerix. The most important difference between POP and IMAP is:
- POP - The email is taken over in the email reader and is removed from the mailbox of the mail server.
- IMAP - The email is shown in the email reader and remains in the mailbox of the mail server.
With IMAP it is possible to use different email readers for the same mailbox. You always see the same emails. With POP however, you modify the original content of the mailbox, so it is not possible to use multiple email readers. Unless you check the option 'Keep a copy of fetched E-mails on the mailserver'.
If you use multiple email readers, (Carerix, Outlook and Smartphone) it's best to use the IMAP settings in Carerix.
Make sure that there are folder available in the mailbox of the user so they can be attached to the correct folders within Carerix. The following folders are available:
Activate IMAP as follows:
- For your own account: click "My account" (top right part of Carerix), scroll down to E-mail settings.
- For someone else's account: click "Users" (in the "Other" section at the left), click a user, scroll down to "Email settings".
- Fill in: mailserver (e.g. imap.company.com), username, password.
- Select SSL or TLS at "Security" (if your server requires this).
- Select "IMAP" at "Type of mailserver".
- Link the folders in Carerix to the corresponding folders on the IMAP server (the lists contain the folders available at your IMAP server).
- Click Save.
- Carerix constantly collects the newest e-mails from the IMAP server.
- Emails are only collected if they are not older than one month. This is important if you are using IMAP for the first time, because then you have to consider that it will not collect the older emails from the server.
- Besides new emails, Carerix also collects modified emails within minutes.
- The synchronization works both ways: new and modified emails from Carerix are placed on the server within minutes, so they can be viewed with other readers (e.g. Outlook, iPhone).
- The following modifications are also synchronized both ways: read/unread status, moving to another folder
- E-mail from the server is no longer synchronized, if:
The email is permanently removed from the server.
The email is moved to a folder on the server that is not linked to a folder in Carerix.
The email is older than one month.
To find out which IP addresses need to be whitelisted when syncing your mails with Carerix you can read the following article: IP range